Managing and Preventing Mold Growth in Your Home
When your home in Chesterfield, MO is damaged by water, it’s often necessary to restore areas of your home. Unfortunately, mold is an issue that commonly occurs in conjunction with water damage. However, learning more about mold can help you take steps toward mold prevention.
What Are Common Causes of Mold in Homes?
Mold can grow in various environments and can be caused by a myriad of issues. However, there are several common reasons mold tends to grow in homes, including:
- High levels of humidity, especially in kitchens or bathrooms
- Leaks from pipes or other appliances
- Access to organic materials, such as wood, cloth and other items that mold uses for nutrients
How Is Mold Removed?
Removing every spore of mold is impossible due to the size of the spores, and it’s actually not necessary to have each spore of mold removed for your home to be safe. However, the process of mold remediation brings the mold spores down to a safe level. There are often specific steps taken in the remediation process, which may include:
- Eliminating the source of the water to prevent more water damage from occurring
- Removing materials that are badly damaged by either water or mold growth
- The use of air filtration devices
- Specialized treatments for affected areas
How Can You Prevent Mold from Growing?
Even though it isn’t always possible to prevent mold from growing, there are some steps you can take to decrease the chance of mold growing in your home, including:
- Quickly removing any standing water in the home
- Preventing any leaks by doing frequent maintenance on appliances and pipes
- Making sure the humidity levels in the home do not get too high
Knowing more about how mold grows and how it can be removed can make prevention easier. If your home has experienced mold growth due to water damage, some people find it helpful to receive assistance from mold remediation experts.