If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (314) 469-9000

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

How Do I Get Rid of Mold Odor in My Home?

3/26/2018 (Permalink)

A musty odor in a basement or bathroom typically comes from breeding fungi that produce a smell caused by mycotoxins. That is probably what you smell when you notice the mildew odor in your home, on your clothes, or inside your automobile. A mycotoxin is a type of yeast produced by the reproduction process of various mold compounds. To get rid of the mold and its odor, you need to understand what it is and how it grows.

Mold Facts

Mold is a common fungus, but most people know very little about it. Here are some interesting facts about residential mold:

" Mold is a type of bacteria.
" It is a thread-like organism created by thousands of cells.
" It requires moisture to grow.
" It grows in a variety of colors.
" Mold can be detected by smell, even when not visible.
" Each organism can release spores into the air that float unseen.
" A mold spore can grow on almost any natural surface.
" There are five different types of mycotoxin, so not all musty, mildew smells are the same.

Musty Odor

Mold likes to hide between pieces of wood, in damp cracks, and under appliances. Since mildew can easily grow in humid weather, or in moist laundry rooms, it may be very difficult to eliminate. Using boiled lemon peels or a box of baking soda to remove the damp smell can help initially, but removing the yeasty odor is not the same as getting rid of the mold.

Safe Remediation

Consider calling a mold remediation team in St. Louis, MO when you discover mildew or fungi odors. The experts can answer all your questions about safe and effective mold removal. The professionals can also provide advice about ventilation, disinfectants, and colony elimination to permanently alleviate the odor. Specially designed HEPA air filtration devices can be especially effective in removing musty odor caused by mycotoxin growth once the mold is gone, and the team can help you find one that fills your needs. Visit http://www.SERVPROnorthweststlouiscounty.com for more information on mold. 

Other News

View Recent Posts